Sunday, November 15, 2009

Smack Dab in the Middle of November



The exact middle of November. Sunlight. Blue sky. Calm water on the river. Unrippled reflections. On a day like today, or yesterday, or tomorrow it is not hard to be grateful for the leafless trees, the invisible world made visible - all the nests of songbirds who are now gone. Nests that hold sunlight and sky - another kind of song.




In the trees, just off the path, a blue bird house. It's been there all along. Where have I been? Nearly every day in the the summer I walk along this same path, but seldom wade through the weeds and burrs to get to the other side. Obviously, I need to do it more often.

The sun sets early these days. During the week, it is hard to get home in time to walk in the light. If I was in charge of the world, tomorrow, Monday, would be declared a holiday, just because it is the middle of November and there is no snow on the ground and the sun is shining and the evening always comes too soon.

































1 comment:

  1. Oh to walk in the cool sunlight on a November day and see the once hidden wonders of the universe. Thank you for taking me on your journey and opening my eyes to the wonders of a cool November day. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

    ReplyDelete

Summer View From My Kitchen Window

Summer View From My Kitchen Window
I am already more than a week into my summer holidays and just beginning to settle into this greenest of seasons - so glad to be at home with my windows and my light. I am just learning how to post these blogs, spending too much time in front of my computer, not enough time with the sky.  The morning began with thunder - an hour of pouring rain and thunder!!  Long after sunrise, the sky was still dark and ominous, but then suddenly the sun broke through. I put on my garden shoes, grabbed my camera, and went out to the flowers . . .   

After the Rain

After the Rain
After all that wild weather, the day lily leaves were covered with such quiet raindrops . . . 

After the Rain

After the Rain
One side of my yard is lined with leafy peonies - the grandmother of all flowers - pink, white, deep, deep red.  I have been deadheading the flowers all week long, but this one, just opening, survived the storm. I have lived in my house for nearly twenty years; these peonies were here long before I moved in and with any luck will be here long after I am gone.